The palace built in the 19th century is located on the site of the former (larger) Bishop’s palace erected in 1522, of which only the Renaissance entrance and the Gothic well in the garden are still preserved.

The façade of the palace is decorated by heraldic symbols of Bishop Paolo Naldini and Bonifacio da Ponte.

Today, the bishopric of Koper has its seat in the palace.