The original church in Črni Kal was dedicated to St Laurence. It was a Gothic church, probably built in the period between the years 1461 and 1490. The church was rebuilt in the 17th century and St Valentine became its patron saint in 1887.
The Church of St Valentine can be found on the central village square. The area around the church where a cemetery used to be is surrounded by a concrete parapet wall and on the southern side of the church a high stone retaining wall was constructed.
A 24.7-metre-high bell tower from 1802 that is known for its unusual ribbed dome and for being visibly inclined can be found besides the church.
The church was renovated in the beginning of the 20th century, the bell tower was restored at the end of the 20th century and between the years 2002 and 2012 both the exterior and the interior of the church were completely restored.