The castle served as protection of the town (and of the whole of Istria). It was renovated in the 17th century, only to be demolished by the Austrian authorities in the 19th century.

Nowadays, the last vestige of the castle is the relief of St Mark’s lion that was placed above the gates of the Totto ex Gavardo Palace in 1924.