Although the village was first mentioned in 1186, two archaeological sites (St Helena and Fort of Koštabonske poljane) bear witness to the existence of prehistoric settlement in this area.
The name of the village is supposed to be derived from the name of the Roman fort which stood at this point: Castrum Bonae. The Late Antique fortress was transformed into a medieval defensive tower.
The village has an elliptical shape. The side roads are linked perpendicular to the main road, and the buildings are made of sandstone using high-quality construction elements.
Two churches and a chapel give an especially beautiful impression of the village.
At the entrance of the village, you can admire a church from 1446, which is supposed to be built on a previous pagan sanctuary: the Church of St Cosmas and Damian. It is a single-nave Baroque church made from stone blocks, with a preserved Gothic three-sided 3/8 presbytery and painting from the 15th century, with rich Baroque furnishing. The church is surrounded by stone wall.
On the other side of the village stands the Church of St Andrew from the 15th century: a Baroque single-nave church with Gothic three-sided presbytery and vestry. The facade is finished in form of a triangle with a bell tower on top and mimics the Aquileia type. The church has stone pavement and three altars. The church stands at the end of a natural pier, on which the village is built, and thus occupies the most exposed point of the settlement and represents an especially dominant standpoint in the area.
The sacral heritage is complemented by the Chapel of St Elias from 1446, with a rich-shaped Baroque portal from the mid-18th century.
The village of Koštabona is registered as settlement heritage in the Register of immovable cultural heritage of the Republic of Slovenia.