It is a fountain in the square, which served as the main connection point between the island city of Koper and the mainland. It is the last station of the aqueduct, which supplied the city with water.
Its current Baroque appearance stems from 1666, when podestá Lorenzo Da Ponte had it rebuilt. The octagonal fountain pool with an arch, which symbolises a bridge (a symbolic link to the name of the podestá) is further decorated with pyramids, coats-of-arms, stone faces, other motives and a fence.
The fountain was used until 1898.